June 21, 2013

Fizik Tundra 2 Long Term Review



My Fizik Tundra 2 has been back and forth on my Scott Scale race bike and on my road bike since the Fall of 2011. It has proved to be a durable, stylish and comfortable piece of equipment. I’ve found its material is the perfect balance between grippy and slippery. I can move around on it easily for climbs but also rely on it to keep me in one place on the rough stuff. 

In addition, weight isn’t holding it back at all. My Tundra 2 with kium rails was, at the time, the least expensive Tundra model. It is still very lightweight at 190 grams. The rails are well marked and the markings haven’t worn off after several bike swaps and saddle adjustments.

I especially like the length of the saddle (280mm). I’ve used other long saddles, like the WTB Silverado (290mm), but what I especially like is the support the Tundra 2 has closer to the nose. The Silverado narrows too quickly and doesn’t give adequate support if you intend to sit near the nose for any extended period of time. Of course, every bike and every rider will be different, but for me and the way I like to be positioned, I like to ride near the nose. On the road bike, when in the drops and really grinding it out, I can comfortably be near the nose. Sitting further back works well too and as a result, you end up with a few good positions that you can switch back and forth between to relax or work particular muscles. 

The saddle is smooth on the sides, so you don’t have to worry about getting your shorts stuck on it while cornering or rubbing on your thighs while pedaling. If you are really getting ballsy on your bike and lean back behind the Tundra 2, you don’t have to worry too much about getting your shorts snagged on the nose. Because of its rectangular, instead of triangular nose, I’ve only had a few close calls, and I frequently lean back on New England’s technical trails. 

This is marketed as a mountain bike saddle and the main reason why I believe that to be the case is that because for long road rides, where you simply aren’t moving around that much on the bike, it can cause some discomfort. For mountain biking, however, it really is a great saddle and I encourage you to try one for yourself. 

If you are at all curious about the Syncros saddles that are coming on new Scott bikes, I’ve been pleased with their comfort and practicality. They don’t have the same low weight or quality as Fizik saddles, however. It all depends on what you are looking for.

One last thing worth mentioning about Fizik saddles is the neat integrated clip system that allows you to cleanly mount a saddle bag or light to the back of the saddle. I’m rocking an old, traditional style saddle bag and have yet to try the integrated system, but it looks slick. The Velcro on my saddle bag is wearing out, so I have a ByKyle Simple Strap as a security measure. If quality is important to you, give Fizik a try!


- Nathaniel

1 comment:

  1. I'm very interested as to how you are able to ride on one of these saddles. I rode two 10km laps an hour apart on a giant trance. I would compare the experience to sitting on a scaffold pole lengthwise. I actually think this saddle would be better suited for playing table tennis with.

    ReplyDelete